Follow Me on Pinterest

Monday, September 10, 2012

Life - and death

How many of you wonder about those annoying life insurance and funeral plan insurance adverts on tv? I get sick of being bombarded by ad's that take up my valuable viewing time, and I really wonder whether the ad's are effective or not.

How many of you have actually bought insurance from a tv advert? I know I haven't. When I have bought insurance of any kind, I thoroughly researched what I was after and then got quotes from various different companies.

I have insurance for the following things -
      • contents (I rent)
      • car
      • cat
      • dog
      • life insurance (with both my Superannuation fund and with a different company)
I assume that I am like most Australian's with the insurance I have. Sometimes I do wonder whether I need more or less insurance, whether I'm getting bang for my buck, whether I could get rid of the insurance for the dog and one of the cat's. That would save a nice $60 a month or thereabouts. Then knowing my luck, the dog would get hit by a car and I'd need the insurance.

The only insurance that I'm considering at the moment is funeral insurance. I guess that being bombarded with all those funeral plan advertisements on tv are having some effect after all!

I investigated one day, and found out the following...

If I were to get insurance for a funeral plan at my current age (27) for $143.28 a year for a benefit of $8000 and I kept the insurance until I passed away in say, 30 years I would pay a total of  $4298.40 over the 30 year period.  This of course, doesn't take into account the increase in premiums as I age.

I just can't wrap my head around spending that kind of money over that time frame, when if I put that money in savings, it could a) be used for other things and b) be used for my funeral if I passed away. Of course, I might have to supplement the $143.28 to make up the $8000 I was quoted on.

Of course, having funeral cover would really help out if I passed away in the first couple of years of holding the insurance. I'm really going to have to give the whole funeral insurance thing a whole lot more thought.

Remember - I'm not giving advice relating to your circumstances, I'm simply discussing my thoughts on the funeral plan idea. Please seek advice that is appropriate for your circumstances and financial situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment