Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Gearing up for October

The end of September and October will be a busy month for our house.

School holidays start on the 21st September for most Queensland public schools, which means I'm off work for 2 weeks (one of the joys of working for Education) but also means that I need to keep Master R. occupied over the fortnight. I can see that he'll be waking me up early every day asking to play the PS3 or the Wii!

Our first weekend on holidays will see us loading the two horses into a friend's horse float and heading to her house for a weekend Confidence Clinic. We are looking forward to spending time with our horsey friends, who we don't see as often as we would like, since I sold our horse float to help fund the kitchen renovation. Although I'm not lacking too much confidence handling and riding our mares, it certainly won't hurt me to get yelled at for my crappy riding position and will help me to lead and handle my mare, Flicka, better when she tries my authority. Since Reinhard has only just started to confidently ride his mare, Bella, off the lead-line at walk and trot, with the occasional canter, the Confidence Clinic should really help him to feel more in control when handling the old darl'.

Luckily the local swimming pool opens tomorrow afternoon after being closed over winter. This means long, lazy days in the sun enjoying the sunshine. The warmer weather also means that our vegetable garden is going crazy, we have corn, beetroot, tomatoes, potatoes, garlic, lettuce, onion and various edible flowers sprouting all of the place. Our biggest issue is keeping the various chickens locked away in their coop, there is one hen in particular who is an expert escape artist and she keeps scratching up the seedlings, soil and mulch in our garden beds. Our vegie garden is fenced off, but she just flies over the top.

While we're still in the garden, we spent last Saturday giving one of our Tamarind trees a severe haircut, and also cut back several other trees and bushes that were in desperate need. The job isn't finished, we still have several dozen Captain Cook's to go (they're a declared pest) as well as several hedging plants that were never tamed into a hedge and have gotten out of control. All of these haircuts are in preparation for the upcoming storm season, and also for my upcoming Tupperware/27th birthday party on the 6th October.

I'm getting pretty excited about the party and have finally started using Microsoft OneNote to keep track of my party planning and all the lists of party games, food ideas and guest list. I haven't used OneNote a lot in the past although my Boss (at school) uses it religiously for his note-taking, meetings and general day-to-day stuff.

The Tupperware party will also be my debut into the world of being a Tupperware demonstrator. I'm looking forward to learning how to be a great demonstrator, and the incentives are pretty darn cool, especially for a chick like me who has a new kitchen to kit out!

My Tupperware/27th Birthday party aren't the only celebrations in October though. School holidays wrap up for us on the 8th October and I'll be back to working 5 days a week instead of my current 3. Then Master R. has his Suprise Birthday Tropical Pool Party on the 20th October. As I'm sure you can imagine, I'm having a lot of fun planning his Suprise party, and whats even better is that he hasn't the slightest clue that there is a birthday party on his horizon! This is because I told him at his last birthday party (his 5th) that he would only have a birthday party every 5 years.

'Every 5 years!' I hear you exclaim - yep, every 5 years. I'm breaking with routine here, but he has been so good and done so well at school and at life in general that I thought a suprise party might be appropriate for him. He was so proud of himself today, and so he should be since he got 4 A's and 1 B on his latest school assignment. I'm pretty darn proud of the kidlet too, in case you can't tell.

On top of all these celebrations, the school is going back to swimming lessons, with 3 a week for the first couple of weeks due to a swimming carnival in week 4! 

How are October and the rest of September looking for you and your family? I hope you are looking forward to the next couple of months as much as I am!

Finally, here are some snaps of my nice clean house as part of the 20 Day Challenge. As you can see from the pics, there is still work to do -
    • tidy bookshelves
    • clean windows
    • install kitchen floorboards
    • sand walls
    • paint walls and lounge room roof
 I'm sure I'll be able to add to that list in a few minutes!



No comments:

Post a Comment